We made a yummy pot on Sunday, and I've been eating the leftovers all week for lunch. It gets better every time I reheat it. It's a recipe worth sharing. I wish I could claim it as my own, but cooking is not really one of my gifts. So, public thanks to Kristen from Bunco :) Even Madeline likes it. Not only does she dip her chips in it, but Madeline actually used the spoon to eat some. This alone is amazing. Normally soup is only seen as an excuse to eat chips and crackers.
I make it a little bit differently each time, but here's the latest version (which as you can tell is NOT an exact science):
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green pepper (that needed to be eaten pronto!)
1 16oz can chili beans
1/2 bag frozen corn (or 1 15 oz can whole kernel)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 box chicken broth
1 can Rotel's
1 pkg taco seasoning
3 frozen chicken breasts
Mix all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low for 4-5 hours (or longer). Chop or shred chicken. Cook on low for another 1-2 hours (longer=better).
1 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green pepper (that needed to be eaten pronto!)
1 16oz can chili beans
1/2 bag frozen corn (or 1 15 oz can whole kernel)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 box chicken broth
1 can Rotel's
1 pkg taco seasoning
3 frozen chicken breasts
Mix all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low for 4-5 hours (or longer). Chop or shred chicken. Cook on low for another 1-2 hours (longer=better).
The original recipe that I used also calls for 1 16oz can black beans, an additional can of Rotel's and 4-5 total chicken breasts. Our latest batch probably could have used a bit more chicken. You can also substitute some beer for the chicken broth.
Yum. Yum. Yum.
This sounds so good! I will make it for tomorrow, as it is supposed to start "wintry mix"ing tonight and turn to snow for tomorrow, so it sounds like a great time to make a warm and tasty soup. PLUS, you know how much I LOVE soups, so I am doubly excited to try a new highly recommended recipe. :D I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, we are a GO for the last weekend of February. But, I really want to see Joel & Deanne as well, so we'll want to stop by there for a couple of hours. Would that be ok? Love you! Ray
ReplyDeleteThis sounds amazing...but what's rotel's? I have to be honest...the idea of putting in frozen chicken breasts is probably the most exciting part for me!!! I always forget to thaw meat, and then I need a new plan.
ReplyDeleteRotel's tomatoes are a yummy treat that go perfectly in soups and cheese dips. Yum.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ro-tel.com/product-original.jsp
Hope you like the soup, Caroline!