Darrin went out of town for all of 36 hours this week. It was a bit crazy on the timing -- I had parent/teacher conferences, but my parents were able to watch Madeline for the evening. All was going well. And I was looking forward to the weekend -- the SWANSON's were coming to town!!!
Until I went in to get Madeline ready for day care on Friday morning. I walked in her room and it was stinky. I thought maybe she had some overnight dirty pants. Wrong. She had puked, but not "said" anything about it. Just rolled over and went back to sleep. Great. (And kind of scary -- seriously, girl, you gotta cry if you throw up in the middle of the night!)
So, we took an early morning bath and snuggled some. I did Subfinder online, but still had to go in to school and leave some lesson plans. Since I was home alone, Madeline got to come with me. She was very agreeable and looking forward to coloring at mommy's school. She didn't want to eat breakfast, so we put on clean PJs and ran up to school. We said hi to my friends at school and Madeline colored while I did my sub plans. Then, I called Rachael and had to cancel our weekend plans. Big bummer. Big, big bummer.
All in all it turned out okay, and I got an unexpected day off -- to do nothing but snuggle, play and take a nap. I cleaned up the mess and had a nice day at home with Madeline. Luckily, it was an isolated incidence. No more puking. We finally had breakfast around 11:00. We checked our emails together. And Darrin came home around 6:00 Friday night.
This made me think once again about single parents. I was on single mom duty for a whopping 36 hours -- we had a minor bump in the road. I couldn't imagine being by myself all the time. I don't know how single parents do it. Seriously. Darrin and I have commented on this often since having Madeline. I'm not sure I would survive parenting without my partner in crime, my best friend, my hub-alicious. It's exhausting at times and full of "surprises".
We pray for single parents quite often. It sounds kind of silly, but we do. God bless you, single parents. Wow. God bless you. Lots.
I know just what you mean. Everytime Dave has to work late and I'm on bath and dinner duty by myself, I think about other moms who do that by themselves every day. I can't even imagine and I hope I never have to find out what that's like...
ReplyDeleteI ABSOLUTELY agree with your paragraph on single parents. I think about them a lot too since Adele came along and am extremely thankful for David!
ReplyDelete