Darrin and I finished two of the three rooms that we wanted to paint. The dining room is taped and ready, but, alas, has no new paint on the walls. Maybe next weekend. For now the house is a mess. The kitchen is still a disaster. The dining rooms chairs are in the toy room. The sun room blinds are on the floor in the dining room. The secretary that goes in the dining room is in the living room...
For those of you that were curious, here are some action shots. I think most of them were taken between coats...it's actually all fully covered now. We painted more red in the kitchen (already had the stuff above the cabinets) and brown in the eating area. All inspired by the new rug that I got to go in front of the sliding door to the patio.
These little projects (that and going over to a friend's beautiful house this weekend) leave me feeling house envy. I want my house to look like a page out of a Pottery Barn catalog. It doesn't.
Don't get me wrong, I love my house. LOVE it. But home improvement projects always leave me wanting more. I shouldn't want more...it's so silly. We have a wonderful house. But, my American consumerism gets the best of me. I want it to look "grown-up". It's not. Much of our furniture is from IKEA when we first got married. It's not particularly well-decorated. Decorating is not my forte. Maybe someday I'll get some living room furniture (NOT the country-green plaid sofa that I loved when I was 22). But for now maybe God is teaching me to be content with what I have.
Any-hoo. Back downstairs to make the house livable again. And to clean up for Darrin's birthday dinner...
I totally hear you! Our house is nice. But it's no Pottery Barn...and I want it to be and get impatient that I can't just make it be that way instantly! It's hard to be content, especially when your friends houses are beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE that rug! Did you get it at Target? I think I saw one like it there :)
Your house IS beautiful and you have inspired me to do certain decorating things. I'm so glad you did a color in the sunroom instead of those curtain box things. :D The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side, believe me! I love you and I can't wait to see the finished projects. Ray
ReplyDeletelooks great! I feel the same way you and Amy do about your house. I would love to have Nate Berkus (sp) come to my house and make it over!
ReplyDeleteLisa, When you post pictures of your home, I ALWAYS think that it looks so grown-up! Congratulations on such a great project last weekend!
ReplyDelete