She was right.
From the first time I held Madeline in my arms, I knew she was mine to love and protect forever. My precious little bundle. A true gift from God. The saying "the miracle of life" became real to me. I loved Madeline more in one instant than it seemed that I had loved anyone my whole life.
It's funny how that love for my daughter has spilled over to all of my other relationships. It seems like I love them all more, too. Just because I know the love between a mother and her child. I understand my own parents more. And I understand my friends and family who are parents more. When I see Madeline giggle and "wrestle" with Daddy, I feel it. When I see her grandparents' faces light up when she walks in the room, I feel it. When I see her cousins so excited to play Star Wars with her, I feel it. She's brought a lot of love and joy to my life.
That's not to say that it's all been lovey-dovey, hunky-dory. Oh no. There have been some ugly moments, too. The sleepless newborn nights, doubts and second-guessing, excessive spitting-up, feeling like a failure at breastfeeding, arguments over parenting, temper tantrums, time-outs, and more.
But I wouldn't trade any of it. I'd keep all the junk. The love is so worth it.
Being a mom has brought me more joy than I've ever known before.
So Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, sisters, aunts, grandmas, fur-moms, step-moms, and like-a-moms out there. I pray that you feel the love, too.
So sweet and so true! Happy Mother's Day!
ReplyDeleteDarrin mentioned this blog post on facebook, so I had to check it out. And it is SO TRUE. I completely agree that I feel things as Ash is feeling them, and I understand people better (or at least differently) now, too. Thanks for a great post. I might have to blog-stalk you more often. :)
ReplyDeleteLisa, both you and Darrin have grown so much since you have had Madeline. You both are doing excellent at raising her. No one ever said that parenting is easy but they have said it is the hardest job that you will ever love. Some words I remember from my Mama are "Someday when you have children, you will better understand what it is to love unconditionally - that is, all they ask for return of your work and effort is to love them and make them happy. You and Darrin will always be Madeline's heros and she loves and respects you. You and Darrin have always shown and shared your love with me and Rodney. And to read here that you realize the love that we have for our precious Madeline Grace is so very much appreciated. We LOVE all of you to the moon and back. Bonnie
ReplyDelete