So far I've read two books since being on summer vacation. That's right, TWO WHOLE BOOKS!
Both were winners.
First up: House Rules by Jodi Picoult.


I love a good Jodi Picoult book. (Even though I'm still not sure how to pronounce "Picoult".) Her books are such page-turners. In fact, when I have a Jodi Picoult book sitting on the end table, Darrin knows that nothing will get done around the house because I will be reading during every moment that Madeline is asleep. Naptime, bedtime, any quiet moment.
And this conversation usually takes place:
Me: I'm just going to read one more chapter.
Darrin (20 minutes later): Are you still on the same chapter?
Me (sheepishly):Umm...yeah? (Now three chapters ahead.)
House Rules is about a boy with Asperger's who gets accused of murdering a girl in town. It proceeds in the same Picoult courtroom drama style that I love. All in all, it was a good read. It doesn't rank up there with my favorite Picoult novels: My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, or The Pact. But good nonetheless. And I managed to figure out the twist at the end before I got there. And even before I read the last page to double check...that's right, I admit, I'm a last-page-reader. Sometimes I just can't handle the suspense. I just have got to know.
As I read this book, I couldn't help but be reminded of two former students. One with mild autism and one with Asperger's. Both were unique boys and nice people. I smile just thinking about the family photo album that one of them turned in...all about Chuck Norris because he LOVED Chuck Norris. Good times.
The other book was The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

This was my favorite of the two. It's been a long time since I've read a more serious, thought-provoking book. Lately I've been frequenting the fluffier stuff. This one fits the more thought-provoking category. Actually, I'd love to be in a book club and discuss this one with some other people.
It's a novel set in Mississippi in the early 1960s and chronicles two black maids and a young white woman who wants to write their stories of serving white families. I LOVED this book. I loved the characters, the descriptions, and the parts that were written in dialect. It was a great read, and I was very satisfied with the ending. I'd highly recommend it.
So faithful blog readers...I think there are about five of you...any suggestions for my next summer book?
I too am a fan of Chuck Norris. In fact, he endorsed my candidacy to become the next governor of Iowa. Too bad it wasn't enough to help me win the Republican primary.
ReplyDeleteRobert "Bob" Vander Plaats
Lisa, my book club read The Help a few months ago...definitely one of the most profound books I've read in a while. I just read The Opposite of Love (by Julie Buxbaum)...yes, also for book club. It was weird and wacky, but I couldn't put it down. Fair warning: some of the language is intense, so you probably don't want to get this book on tape. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, for a trip down nostalgia lane, I recommend revisiting The Babysitter's Club books. Definite fluff, but it's a hoot! I haven't read any good ones in a while...well, I read "A is for Alibi" but it was just ok. Not great.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a looong time since I've sat down to read a good book. But I admit I am a total last-page-reader. It drives people nuts, but it's how I prefer it. :)
ReplyDeleteI put a hold on The Opposite of Love at the lib. Thanks, Caroline. I love book suggestions!
ReplyDelete