Except for the last leg home from Cedar Falls (which included a few tears), Madeline did a wonderful job of staying busy with her books, Elmo computer, baby Randall, and sleeping.
Each road trip starts with On The Road Again by Willie Nelson soon after we pull out of the driveway. The CD is always in my car and ready to go. My grandpa Gourley liked Willie Nelson and for some reason it's become our family tradition. My favorite lyric:
On the road again,
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never seen again
And I can't wait to get on the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never seen again
And I can't wait to get on the road again
More than once on a vacation, Darrin and I have turned to each other and said, "Never been here before."
We also like to take picnic lunches to eat on the road. We pack a cooler and enjoy the fresh air. We've got a few favorite rest stops across the country and we found a new nice one this time. Just outside of Dubuque after we crossed the Wisconsin border in Hwy 151, we found a nice spot for lunch and stretching our legs.
We like to take our time on the road -- making stops at places along the way. This trip included some fun ones. An unexpected stop outside of Albion while waiting for a train -- oh the countless trips to UNI that included a wait at the train tracks! A stop in Cedar Falls to go to the bookstore and to eat some OP pizza on the way home. And, of course, a stop for some ice cream.
I love summer vacations.
Sounds like a great vacation! I'm always amazed by what a good little traveler Madeline is. Livvy, as you know, is not of the "amuse oneself" variety, and can only be bribed into traveling happiness with Dora :D. Miss you lots. Called the other day. Give me a call sometime this week. Miss you and can't wait to see you again. When do you go to Branson?
ReplyDeleteRay