Thursday, February 24, 2011

Watch Audrey Grow: 1 Week

Some of my favorite things in Madeline's baby book are her "Watch Madeline Grow" pictures. So here are the first of many "Watch Audrey Grow" pictures!


We got off to a slow start on the eating part. But after a visit to a wonderful lactation consultant at the hospital, things are going better and Audrey is starting to slowly gain some weight. She was born at 6 lbs 14 oz and got down to 6 lbs 4 oz this weekend. She's been holding steady at 6 lbs 6 oz, and we hope to keep making progress!

She's also been a bit of a pumpkin. Literally. Her bilirubin levels have been on the high side making her jaundice. But today was the first time that her levels went down. This is good news! Due to the recent weight gain and bili levels lowering we don't have to return to the doctor until her two week check (next week!). That's good news! We've been to the doctor for weight and bilirubin checks almost daily.


Overall, Audrey's been a great little babe. She's been sleeping well at night. Except for the one night that she wanted to be up and eating every hour from about 10pm-2am...but, then again, that's just part of the territory of having a newborn. Right?

I've also determined that I'm just not much of a newborn person. The combination of the postpartum hormones and lack of sleep drives me batty with worry. I'm normally very go with the flow. But newborns stress me out. The first few days home from the hospital I feel completely unequipped and unprepared to take care of this precious little life that's in front of me. Is she sleeping too much? Maybe she's not sleeping enough. She's not eating enough. Not pooping enough. She doesn't cry much. She's jaundice. Breastfeeding isn't going well. The worries go back and forth...one day she eats too much, the next day not enough. We're getting the hang of it, though. With Madeline it took me about two months to real feel like I was in the groove. I'm feeling much more capable this time around :).


It may not be any easier, but at least I know what to expect.

1 comment: