On the agenda for this week: wall art for our gray bedroom.
The blank canvas had been hiding behind the
I decided on squares because they'd be easy to do with tape.
First, I painted the canvas white to give it an even base. Probably not necessary, but I did it anyway. And I painted right in the middle of the kitchen floor while my helper painted her own project.
BTW, it's really practical to paint a canvas in the middle of the highest traffic spot in your home. In case you were wondering.
Then I figured out how to make all my squares even with some painters tape. This may not make sense...we'll see.
My tape was one inch thick. My canvas was 22x28 inches. To evenly space it all, I knew I'd have an "extra" piece of tape on the end as a border. There would be a pattern of tape, white space, tape, white space, etc.... ending with a piece of tape on the end. So, I subtracted the width of one piece of tape from each side. That left me with 21x27 to work with. Conveniently those are both divisible by three. So, I put my tape on at three inch intervals. After taping I had two-inch squares (to be painted) surrounded by one-inch of blue tape (to be white).
Did that make sense? Probably not. Sorry.
I did all my taping and then started randomly painting the squares. I used five colors -- dark/light yellow, dark/light gray and turquoise. I wasn't going for perfection here. I wanted some brush strokes to show and some variety in the colors.
The vision I had in my head was a pixelated sunrise.
And there you have it! {Cameo by cute milk-drinking assistant.}
Linking up to House of Hepworths. :)



I love this, I really want to make some art. Thanks for the inspiration!!!
ReplyDeleteBobi
http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com
Hum... A little of the "Zeller" is showing up. Try sculpture too!!! Very creative. If you want to sew old antique keys on fabric (like in the House of Hepworths), my mom did one just like that on burlap and it was up for years on Gascony Way. I saved the keys (Smile!!!) and can find the rest of the supplies for you.
ReplyDeleteL.,
M.