Wednesday, December 18, 2013

woman of valor

A few months ago my bestie's husband recommended a blogger to me -- Rachel Held Evans.  I've been reading her blog and "getting to know her" and found her book at the library.  Totally enjoying it.

It's probably no accident that the week that I'm feeling a bit crazy on the home front (making and eating too many baked goods, prepping to host a Bunco party, realizing I haven't purchased a thoughtful teacher gift yet, writing/stuffing/mailing Christmas cards, missing the December dance lesson payment, deciding this is a good time to start unswaddling/sleep-training the baby, keeping up with daily life...you know...) that I happened to be reading her chapter on the Proverbs 31 woman in A Year of Biblical Womanhood.

So this really sticks out to me this week:

The Proverbs 31 woman is a star not because of what she does but how she does it -- with valor.  So do your thing.  If it's refurbishing old furniture -- do it with valor.  If it's keeping up with your two-year-old -- do it with valor.  It it's fighting against human trafficking...leading a company...or getting other people to do your work for you -- do it with valor.

Take risks. Work hard. Make mistakes. Get up the next morning.

And surround yourself with people who will cheer you on.

 -- A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans p.95

That's all.  Happy Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love it! Still reading it now. Just tonight I read the part on Mary Magdalene -- awesome. I think Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey is next on my list. :)

      Delete