Wednesday, August 26, 2015

First Day

Back to school.  So many feels.  



I've only ever wanted to be two things in life: a teacher and a mom.  It took me a few years to figure out that the best decision for me was to focus on one at a time for a season of life.  

So while I love the lazy mornings playing play doh and firetrucks at home, I still miss the excitement and buzz of the classroom.  Especially the first day of school.  So much nervous, happy energy ready to start something new.  



We walked to school with the neighbors as always.  It's Madeline's last year as one of the little kids in the bunch.  After a few years of being the youngest, next year we'll have a whole wave of neighborhood kindergartners joining them.  

This morning Madeline suggested that she walk to school with just the kids (no parents) so they could all "get used to the timing".  I told her that we'd walk with her for one day.  Then she could have all year with her neighborhood buddies.



Seems like just yesterday I was taking my newborn Madeline to the ER in the middle of the night with a diagnosis of "fussy baby". Or willing myself to make the entire walk to school and back with a toddler and a three-day-old newborn in tow because I was determined to see my kindergartener off to school.

Madeline was up early and ready to go.  She barely ate a thing for breakfast because she was so excited.  We took our typical slew of pictures, loaded up the littles, and headed off to school.  



James succeeded in opening her locker all by himself.

Audrey walked right up to the principal as we left the building to say, "Hey, Moss!  See you next year!"  To which he replied, "I'll be counting the days!"  Oh, you just wait Mr. Moss.  Just wait.



For now, we've got a second grader, a pre-K-er, and a toddler.  And lots of memories to make.  

1 comment:

  1. Madeline is one of the nicest, kindest children that I know. She will give up any toy or anything to her sister or to her brother to make them happy. She will do anything to stop a confrontation or an argument. She seldom argues unless she feels that one of us has been unfair to her. She reads so well!!! She always is reading in the car when we drive anywhere -- as do her sister and her brother. No singing in the car like I did with Sam and Nick. Madeline, Audrey, and James read!!! Lisa, you will look back on these years as the happiest years of your life... Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete