Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Beaver Incident

I've been running with some friends after school. It's an entirely social endeavor. Any fitness or health benefits that accompany my efforts are just icing on my non-fat cake.

We have a good time, chit chat and laugh while we run a couple miles. This week there was a little more excitement.

We were attacked by a beaver.

That's right. Attacked by a beaver.

The gals and I were running on a popular path in Ankeny (the old train tracks by NV). We were talking and laughing and running. Up ahead of us, a beaver came up and crossed the road. He then proceeded to munch on some leaves right next to the path. We talked louder and Stephanie clapped -- thinking this would scare Mr. Beaver off. As we approached things looked good. Then, all of a sudden in a fit of beaver rage, he turned and ran right at us!!!!!!

There was immediate jumping, screaming, and arm-flailing. My life flashed before my eyes as his rodent-ness neared my ankles. At the last second he diverted his path and ran past us. We continued previously mentioned jumping, screaming, and arm-flailing and Mr. Beaver ran back down to the creek.

Since we are serious runners, we kept going -- verifying multiple times that Mr. Beaver had given up the chase. It took a good quarter mile before my heart rate returned to a semi-normal pace.

And it's possible that he was a muskrat. But we find the story to be more humorous if he remains a giant beaver.



4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is hilarious! I have seen a similar beaver in my neighborhood. I thought it was a giant rat. It ran after my car when I drove past it. It was one angry beaver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod says this is a muskrat. A beaver has a very wide flat tail. He says this tail looks like a rat tail. But he says you can call it a beaver as long as it makes your story funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa! We needed a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, what a great storyteller you are! I laughed outloud when I read this even though I had heard the story earlier at school!...Teresa J.

    ReplyDelete