Friday, August 20, 2010

Reflections on the first day(s) of school

It's been three days back and I've officially seen all my students and taught all my classes at least one time.

After two days of being in a professionally developed coma, it was an awesome, welcome change to be in the classroom. It reminded me of why I love teaching: the kids.

Being back is exhausting. I went to bed Wednesday night at 9:00 pm. And slept until 6:00 am. It was amazing.

Things are already shaping up to be better than last year. It's been officially declared: Jeans Day EVERY Friday. Woot woot!!!!

Another Friday bonus: movie theater style popcorn in the teacher's lounge. And, by the way, I love that it's still called a "lounge". Makes it sound like we just sit in there on comfy couches, eating bonbons, drinking coffee and smoking a pack a day.

Watching nervous 8th graders on the first day of school (their first day in a new building) brings back vivid memories of middle school. My heart goes out to them when they can't get their lockers open, can't find the right classroom, don't know when to eat lunch, or can't find the hallway that their locker is in after I've seen them walk by my room twice. I just want to hug 'em and say, "It'll get better. I promise." I usually do say that. I just don't hug 'em. That might be awkward.

Back to school, back to school...

2 comments:

  1. So glad your first days went well! Even at my age, don't laugh, I can remember my first day in Jr. High School (the antique name for Middle School) I do recall being scared and the thought of having to change class rooms every hour and getting the right books for the right class and doing all of it in a short short amount of time.... brings back funny memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's our first day today! I love-love-love seeing all of the kids again!!!!

    ReplyDelete