Sunday, December 5, 2010

Advent wreath

My friend Staci shared some cool ideas about celebrating advent with kids. And I was super excited about starting a new Christmas tradition for our expanding family. Staci had a whole packet of ideas, and it included a simple, pre-written family advent service for each Sunday leading up to Christmas.

The only one small dilemma -- I needed an advent wreath, but didn't have one. After shopping around a bit, I couldn't find one that I really liked nor one that fit my frugal tastes. Last week we did our advent service with a single candle from the kitchen.

This week I took matters in to my own hands. I decided that I needed to make my own advent wreath. I searched my friend Google Images and found some really neat ideas. So I came up with an idea and found all the materials at home -- some tealights, votive holders, and a plate.

All I needed was some kind of organic looking filler to bring it all together. As always, Michael's pulled through for me. I found a bag of potpourri in the dollar aisle (along with some stocking stuffers for Madeline and some notecards for me). Plus I had a coupon for 15% off my entire purchase.

So here it is: My 85 cent advent wreath. Voila!


1 comment:

  1. oh. my. gosh. I'm FAMOUS!!! :)
    What a fun idea to make your advent wreath. It's beautiful!
    Abby asks EVERY day if we are doing an Advent Service that evening. Could be eggnog treat after, could be the fact that we dim the lights and thats pretty cool, or could be that she really loves worshipping God at home with her mommy and daddy. Very cool!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete