Monday, May 2, 2011

The Return of Mod Podge

Mod Podge has changed my life.  Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but I've been changed for good.  (Bonus points if you can name that reference to musical theater.)

I saw some wooden letters in the dollar bin at Migueles (my affectionate nickname for Michael's...I'm a Spanish dork) and I knew that they could have a home in my girls' rooms.  They even had hardware on the back and were ready for hanging. 

Once I found an "m" and an "a" I was sold.

The problem: They don't coordinate with anything we have.

The solution: Mod Podge.

First, I cut out 1-2 inch strips of paper to cover my letters.  Once again, thankful for the growing pile of scraps that I keep re-using on all these projects.



Then, I "primed" the letters with some crafter's paint.  I didn't have green, so I mixed my own.  My art teacher friend will be proud.


Next, I cut my papers to fit the contours of each letter.  Sounds fancy...I just traced the shape of the letter on the  back of the paper strips and cut them out.

Finally, enter The Mod Podge.  I adhered the paper to the wood and gave it a once over glaze on top.


The letters are reborn!  Now if only I could figure out where my husband hides the nails I'd hang them up... ;)

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant!

    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!

    And I love a girl who loves herself some 'Wicked' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable and impressive... and spoken from someone who just did a bouquets and boutonnieres project with lots of support from a) crafty cousins and friends and b) the dollar bin at Michael's! When you see my wedding pictures posted on FB in a few weeks, I think you'll smile.

    (If you are shocked that we made bouquets three weeks before a wedding, just know that we are not using flowers. Wait and see...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have known that a UHS alum could name that musical. :)

    And, Caroline, can't wait to see your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute letters...I believe the musical is Wicked!

    ReplyDelete