Friday, August 12, 2011

The First Day

For the first time since 1985 will I not be participating in the first day of school.  It's a bit strange to me.  I do miss the hustle and bustle of the first days back in the building.  The anticipation of getting my classroom set up.  The organization of gradebooks, seating charts, and miscellaneous binders.  The collaboration with my colleagues and friends.  I'll most certainly miss that.


I'll miss the kids a lot, too.  Speaking Spanish with them.  Joking around with them.  Watching them learn and grow throughout the course of a year.  High-fives and smiles in the hallway.  All the good stuff that goes with teaching.  The reason I wanted to be a teacher in the first place -- the kids.  The little rewards of seeing that you're making a difference in someone's life.

I'll miss the connection with our community -- you just can't beat free admission to all sporting events.  Since we now actually have to buy our tickets, we won't be making too many 30 minute stops up to the football game just to watch the marching band at halftime.  I'll miss that and I know that Madeline will, too.


But it takes about thirty seconds with my girls to know that I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Lazy mornings in our pajamas.  Trips to the park.  Time in the afternoon to pick up the house, prep for dinner, and work on crafty stuff.  Extra snuggles with Audrey.  Extra books and conversations with Madeline.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.


And in just a few short weeks, I'll be having a new kind of first day of school.  My Madeline goes to preschool.  It doesn't seem possible.  Three years have flown by.  Reason enough right there to stay home -- the time just flies by.

1 comment:

  1. what a sweet post Lisa...made me tear up. I still struggle with my choice to continue to work. Miss seeing you at school.

    ReplyDelete