I've subbed a whopping six times now since the beginning of December and I'm enjoying it more than most (sane) adults would.
The demographic: I'm only subbing at Northview, my former workplace. It's a suburban middle school bursting at the seams with over one thousand 8th and 9th grade students.
I'm convinced that a few circumstances make it more fun than not. My friends are still there, so I've got teachers to socialize with and friendly faces to welcome me each day. That is nice.
I can see how subbing would be scary and lonely if you didn't know anyone else in the building. Teachers are busy and the layout of the building is kind of isolating, so if I didn't head out to say hi to some friends I could easily go the whole day without really talking to anyone else.
I also know the kiddos and had many of the current 9th graders in class last year, so it's nice that most of them greet me with smile and an "hola". It also helps my street cred (yep, I just said street cred in a post about a suburban Iowa school) that the 9th graders know me. Makes the 8th graders a bit more receptive to a new sub wandering the halls. And it's nice to tell each class -- I taught here for nine years so I know that Mrs. So-and-so doesn't let you leave class ten minutes early each day. Or I'm certain that Mrs. Whats-her-name doesn't let you sit and talk all class period. Nice try.
This is the first year since I started teaching at NV that they are back on an 8-period day schedule. We used to have blocked classes of 84 minutes each -- which I LOVED as a teacher. As a classroom teacher, I'm sure I'd still prefer the block. As a sub, 41 minute class periods sure are nice. A whole lot less can go wrong in 41 minutes as compared to the possibilities for complete and utter catastrophe in an 84 minute class period.
I'm super thankful for the supportive technology helpers I've had. Two of my subbing days have been in the computer labs working on projects with kiddos. It is so nice to have great tech support to help me make it through the day. The day I "taught" PhotoShop in art class? Yea....I wasn't a big help. The media specialist and the integrated tech teacher? They were big helpers.
After all this time as a SAHM, I've lost my stamina for a day in heels. This makes me sad. For some reason (maybe because my dress pants are too long and I've always wanted to be 5'10") I feel the need to wear heels to school. My feet are tired at the end of the day.
That being said...night, night all. I worked a day and a half (outside of the home) this week and I'm ready for bed.
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment