Monday, January 30, 2012

I'm becoming my parents

It's not a bad thing, 'cause my parents are pretty great.  It just kind of sneaks up on you.  You become an adult and soon enough you realize that you've also become...your parents.

Oh my goodness, Madeline is a dawdler.  She always has one more person to say goodbye to, one more baby to tuck in, one more puzzle to do, one more book to read, one more song to sing, one more something.  I mean seriously.  Getting this child out of the house (or anywhere) takes like 30 minutes.  My dad used to say "Stop fiddle-farting around and get in the car."  Yeah, I totally get it now.  My own daughter is a fiddle-farter and now I'm the one trying to get her to hurry it up.



I rarely pay full price for anything.  Neither does my mom.  At the grocery store when Madeline asks for something special she usually asks if it's on sale or if I have a coupon.  She knows the drill.  And she's pretty good (certainly not perfect, but pretty darn good) at accepting no for an answer.  And very excited if I do happen to have a coupon.

If Madeline asks for a drink or a snack while we're out I'll say, "We have {insert desired item here} at home. We'll get some at home."  My mom always said that.


I reheat my coffee in the microwave several times a morning.  Sad, but true.  I get busy and the coffee gets cold.  Sometimes I forget and go looking for my coffee cup only to find it's still in the microwave.  My dad does that.  

My mom would say, "It's not brilliant, but it does the job".  I say that now.

On road trips I say things like, "Let's just look out our windows and enjoy the scenery."


Yep, I've become my parents.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I do believe the "delay game" runs in the family on your mother's side.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete