Friday, April 26, 2013

create

This post has been a long time coming.

The idea started a looooong time ago when I finished the art wall in Madeline's room.  I wanted a title to go over her artwork.

Madeline's art wall is finally finished.  It only took about two years.  :)

Initially I was going to order some vinyl writing and slap it on the wall above her artwork.  It never happened.

Then I got an idea back in November -- to create the letters "c-r-e-a-t-e" using all materials I already had in my house.  Some free wall art.  I promptly started on making the letter c that day.

And then I stopped.

Fast forward six months.

The spirit moved me this week and I got back to work on my word art.  And here it is:


The letter C was made from a pipe cleaner and tulle.  {Sorry, didn't take pics of the process on this one.}  A DIY tutu of Madeline's was my inspiration.  I cut the tulle in small strips and tied it on the pipe cleaner.  Then bent it all into a C.

Cardboard made it's first appearance for the R.  I free-handed an R, cut it out and wrapped it up in ribbon.  It was a bit too plain, so I added a second brighter ribbon on top.



The E was my one purchase.  I splurged and spent $2.11 at Michaels.  I didn't even use a coupon.  The shame!  Then mod podged some paper from an old atlas on it.  Ta-da.  Done.  I did this one so quickly while watching the news that I didn't even snap a picture of the process.

Next was my little sewing project.  I found an A that I liked online and printed it off.  Using that as my pattern I cut out two colorful fabrics and some felt for the "stuffing".  I wanted my A to have some depth, but not be as thick as a pillow.  Then I sewed the pieces together with a zig-zag stitch and called it a day.



The T was another wrap.  I free-handed a T on cardboard, cut it out, and wrapped the fabric around.  Secured it all in place with the glue gun.



My inspiration for the letter E came while watching a movie and braiding Madeline's hair.  A braid!  Genius.

I cut three strands of tulle (2 dark, 1 light) and three ribbons (2 dark, 1 light), mixed the colors around, tied them together, taped it to a trusty laundry basket and braided away.  To keep it's shape, I free-handed an E on paper and glue-gunned the braid in place.




Voila!

And a bonus: the whole project cost $2.11.  :)



Happy Creating!

And just for fun, linking up here and here. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this! So clever, and so perfect for the space. Can't wait to check out your other posts.

    Visiting via Tatertots and Jello ---

    Alexis @ www.thecul-de-sac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete