Friday, July 19, 2013

Summertime

No one does July 4th like Urbandale.  We had a great day -- parade, rest time, swimming, dinner with friends and fireworks.  So fun.



We've been happy with all the parks and rec programs that Madeline has participated in -- and we've done quite a few.  But we really loved the tennis lessons that Madeline did this week.  The instructors were great and the lessons were very well organized.



It's hard for me to say no to Audrey's nightly requests for extra snuggling.  "Mommy, 'nuggle me more" with arms wrapped around my neck pressing her cheek against mine.  Adorable-ness.

We took a last minute trip to the Boone Scenic Railway (thank you, Groupon).  Madeline loved it.  Audrey wasn't so sure at first, so she fell asleep and then loved it.




I finally cashed in on my Mother's Day present a few weeks ago -- a one time house-cleaning by someone that's not me.  It was amazing especially considering that at this point the last thing I want to do during the one hour of quiet I get each afternoon is clean the house.  My first priority is usually just sitting.  We're planning on having the house cleaned one more time before Baby Brother arrives.  It is such a wonderful feeling to come home to an entirely clean house.  I am SOOO looking forward to it.



Lazy days around the house, trips to the park with two fairly independent kiddos, baby dolls on the front porch, picnic lunches in the shade and small adventures around town.  I'm really doing my best to soak in all the little moments this summer before the craziness of having a newborn AND sending Madeline off to kindergarten in a few weeks.

The one movie that both girls can agree on to watch is The Lorax.  I love that it's a cute movie, not irritating to watch and not princess-y.  And listening to Madeline belt out "Let it grow! Let it grow!" at the end of the movie is pretty sweet.  My little tree hugger.

Don't get me wrong.  There are also temper tantrums, whining and the current repressive heatwave.  Hopefully all temporary problems.  But ones that make me wonder if we're insane nonetheless. 



Potty training is going well.  Something magical happened this week and Audrey has been in underwear for three days with only two accidents that were my fault because I wasn't paying attention to the signs.  We've even been brave enough to leave the house to run some short errands in undies.  I'm not declaring that we're potty-trained, but we're getting there.



We started the summer with one girl who didn't even want to put her toes in the pool and another who refused to put her face in the pool.  As of our pool trip this week, Madeline is pretty much swimming (going underwater and making lots of arm/leg motion but not much forward motion) and back-floating on her own and Audrey let me take her in the deep end and "float like a boat" (she holds my shoulders and says "toot, toot!" and I walk around in the water enjoying the weightless feeling in my belly).

Summer livin' is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment