Friday, October 18, 2013

parenting three kids, it's a thrill ride

At any given point one child could be squealing with delight, while another is crying, while another is dirtying their pants.  You never know.

It's totally exciting, yet slightly out of control at all times.

I've come to realize that everyone is operating at their current maximum capacity.  When I was working full time and pregnant, I was exhausted and maxed out.  When I had one newborn and was home for the summer, I was maxed out.  When I went back to work, I was maxed out.  When I had a second baby and sent Madeline off to daycare while I stayed home with the baby, I was maxed out.  When I was a stay at home mom to two kids, I was maxed out.  On days that I subbed, I was maxed out.  I think there's a trend here. You do what you have to do to make your current situation work.   

I'm exhausted, it's a wild ride.  It's full of messes and hugs and handwritten notes on colored paper and tears and day old Cheerios and bandaids and snuggles and stories and dances and temper tantrums and spilled milk.

I didn't know I was missing a sweet little boy in my life, but I was.  And he is so incredibly sweet.

My nephew is turning nine next week.  Nine!  That's almost a two-digit number!  Next thing you know Madeline will be nine.  Or ten.  Or twelve. Or eighteen.  It's too much to think about today.  The saying is so, SO true -- the days go slow, but the years go fast.  

By the time I finish and put away the laundry and/or dishes it's time to start over again.

I use one of those ridiculously large carts at Target with the two extra seats attached to the actual cart because I could fill an entire regular cart with just my own children.  I also routinely shop with Hello Kitty reusable shopping bags.

When someone asks how I am and I answer with an audible deep exhale and "good" and a tired smile, that means that we've all arrived, we're all clothed, and we're all in relatively good spirits.  My standard for "good" has lowered.

I'm thankful for a great, caring friend who asks clarifying questions.  When I say that I feel a little crazy, she asks "crazy like you need some drugs?" because she knows how to get help for that.  It was funny, it was sincere, and I know that she really would make sure I got some happy pills if I needed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment