Friday, February 20, 2015

Celebrating Audrey at Four

We finally got well enough to celebrate the birthday of this special lady.

And then Darrin started feeling sick!  But the party went on while he quarantined himself in our room.



Audrey wanted a Frozen birthday with Chicken Tortilla Soup and "Sven's carrots".  I threw in some chips and guac, too, since it's her favorite food.

Things I want to remember about Audrey at age FOUR.



She is obsessed with playing baby dolls.  And she has a different "mom name" every day.  All of her mom names are from real grown-ups in her life.  On the list of frequent names are: Angela, Rebecca, Stephanie, Rachel, Krista, and Elise.  It's hard to tell who will wake up each morning.  Today it was Angela.  Yesterday was Rebecca.  When she's in mom-mode, she sometimes calls me Lisa "because we're BOTH grown-ups."  She tends to her babies meticulously.  She talks to them, bounces them on her hip, feeds them, changes them, reads to them, and tells me the proper ways to care for them in her absence.



She is an absolute character.  Read: I'm not sure we'll both survive the teenage years.  She loves potty talk and pushing the limits.  She has mooned more than one person.  Each boundary is tested and pushed just to make sure she knows exactly where the limits are and how far she can stretch them.

BUT she's also my most Spirit-filled child.  The last thing she said to Darrin before bed tonight was "I'll say a prayer for you, Daddy."  She loves The Newsboys "We Believe", and she sings it with such conviction and hands raised from the backseat of the car.



She is equal parts sassy and sweet.

She wears mismatched socks every day.  Every day.

She will not hesitate to let you know when she has been left un-noticed or unattended for too long.  She shares her opinions loudly and freely.  

Her favorite foods are guacamole, quesadillas, pork chops, yogurt, and "honey toast".  She likes to drink "coffee".  {Where coffee = chocolate milk.}

She likes to watch American Idol and is particularly fond of "Key" Urban.  The other day I asked her if she wanted to do something and she says, "No.  Sorry.  It's a no for me today."

Audrey tells me almost daily that she doesn't need a nap and she's not tired.  Yet almost every day she falls asleep while listening to music in her room.  The current favorite CD is the Curious George Soundtrack featuring Jack Johnson.



Will we ever sleep through the night consistently?  She's much better now then she was last summer.  I'd give her a 50/50 on sleep through the nights.  But at least now when she needs something it's a 30-second re-tucking.  As opposed to the 30-plus-minute power struggles we had last summer.

LOVE this girl so much.  She reminds me to seize the day and live with passion.  She teaches me to be patient and empathetic.

I'm so thankful to be her mom.

3 comments:

  1. Audrey sounds like she could be a handful. Just wanted you to know that Donovan never slept the night through until he was 9.5 years old. Not one night.
    Good luck with Audrey. Happy Birthday Audrey.
    Love
    Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I will always remember about Audrey at three/four years of age is her love of the telephone and talking on the telephone. She talks just like an older person -- just carries on a nice conversation. Sometimes it is difficult for me to understand her, but she will repeat as needed. When she is done talking, she is done talking -- and may just walk away from the telephone leaving me to wonder where she went!!! There is always a greeting. "Hi, it's me." Or on the answering machine, "This is Audrey. Call me back." The child is absolutely adorable on the telephone -- and likes the telephone as much as I do!!!

    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. When cleaning off this desk by the computer, I found notes of "More Audrey at Four" that I had jotted down for posterity and never typed out on this blog. I have been mooned by dear Audrey several times -- always done with such laughter and joy!!! And, always when I am using the bathroom at her house or my house!!! There is little privacy with Audrey around!!! And, Audrey went to the doctor for a check-up and had blood drawn from her finger. At four years, she told her mother that she wants to be a phlebotomist when she grows up. Frankly, we could use more good phlebotomists -- good career choice!!! Audrey knows what she wants. I think she will do well in life.

    Love,
    Granny

    ReplyDelete