Monday, January 4, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside...

Every year it gets really cold. And every year I seem to forget that it gets so cold. December seems to offer me hope. I always think -- oh, it's not so bad. We can still be outside. Thirty-two degrees isn't so bad. Then January hits. The temperature hits -15. It gets super duper cold. The cold has hit. It's officially January-bitter-cold-season.

To quote my daughter, "Brr."

The good news is that we have a lovely warm house to live in AND my new slippers arrived today! This is a bittersweet arrival. It means that I must say goodbye to my beloved Old Navy leopard print slippers. I've had them forever. They have seen me through a blood clot and a birth. They've been worn and are just about worn through. They were a slipper for every season. I wore them year-round. Rain or shine. Snow or sleet. Come to think of it, they were more reliable than the postal service. Although Darrin liked to make fun of them -- he always asked to wear them to take the trash out to the cold garage. He secretly loved them, too.



So on this cold January night, there is much to be thankful for. Tonight, I'm thankful for cozy slippers. Among other things, of course.

3 comments:

  1. Well, the new ones are WAY cute! :)
    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't BELIEVE you still have those slippers! Are those the same ones from uni, that you broke in on the wrong feet????

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten about breaking in my slippers with the wrong feet!! These are the second generation of leopard print slippers, they're maybe six years old? Wow, that sounds kind of pathetic :)

    ReplyDelete