Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Madeline-isms

It's Snow Day #5. I am all about snow days. They are usually an unexpected break from the routine, and I get to spend a day at home with Madeline. But, five snow days? In one year? Five? Holy cow. I don't think I've ever had more than two snow days in any other year. For those of you who are keeping track, this puts the end of the school year at June 3. Still fairly early, but c'mon. I was excited about May 26.



Both Darrin and I are home today. He's working from home in the office upstairs, and Madeline and I are busy playing all around the house. Her favorite new spot in the house is our newly "finished" basement. Darrin did quite a bit of work down there, and now it's complete with an old carpet remnant, her cousin's old play set, her tricycle from Santa, and the dishwasher box. Big boxes are a big hit. Darrin even set up our old 19" tv. It's almost like being outside at the park (with my grandma's old tv). Almost.


We've got some new favorite Madeline-isms. Those of you that are around her often know that she talks. A lot. It's like she's genetically programmed to talk a lot. Have you met her mom and grandmas?

"Ma _____" Madeline refers to herself in the third person. She calls herself "Ma". It's like some hybrid version of Madeline, me, and I. We hear this a lot as she narrates her daily activities.

"Ma dancing." "Ma reading books." "Ma's ready!" "Ma eating macaroni and cheese." "Ma'll get it."
And many more...




"Right there."
We must ask Madeline where stuff is a lot. She emphatically points at whatever she's found.

me (while reading books): Where's the ______ (insert animal name here)?
Madeline: Right there!


me: Madeline, where's Randall (her favorite baby, a Cabbage Patch Kid)?

Madeline (while running to get him): Right there!


"In thirty (pronounced: ter-tee) minutes." I really am not sure where this one comes from. Do I say that a lot?

Madeline: Daddy home?
me: No, Daddy's at work. He'll be home soon.

Madeline: In thirty minutes?


me: OK, it's time to read books and take a nap.

Madeline: In thirty minutes.

And my recent favorite that made me laugh out loud:
me: Mama's got to go potty quick. I'll be
right back.
Madeline: OK, see ya in thirty mi
nutes.

And last, but not least: counting. Madeline likes to count. She's just still working on getting the sequence down. Usually it goes: "One...two...three...nine...thirteen." For some reason we really like nine and thirteen. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment