Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Palm Sunday Miracle

Madeline has resisted wearing dresses for the last six months.  I had to practically wrestle her down and into her dress for Thanksgiving.  At the mere mention of a dress, we've had an emphatic "no!" and near tantrums.  I wasn't up for the fight at Christmas, so I ended up actually returning the adorable dress that I had bought for her.   

I've been very sad about this.

I've also been determined to get a dress on her for Easter and her birthday.  I've been pointing out all the characters in pretty dresses from her books: Cinderella, Snow White, Abby Cadabby, and more.  Her two super cute spring dresses (that Granny bought on sale last summer) have been hanging in her closet for months.  We look at them and talk about them -- and then Madeline asks me to put them away.  I've even been praying about it.  Last night's bedtime prayer with Madeline went something like this: "Dear God, Thank you for a fun day with my family.  Help me have a good night's rest so I will wake up in the mood to wear a dress.  Amen."

This morning as I was getting breakfast ready, I prayed for a miracle.  Trusting that only God could change her stubborn little mind. 

It worked.  First we put on our silly pants (= tights) and then we put on our fancy shirt (= the dress) and Madeline actually said with a smile,  "oh, a dress."  So here it is...Madeline's birthday dress. 

I give all the praise to God on this one.  It's so trivial and insignificant, but it was important to me and it's finally happened.  Yeah!!!  This was a great reminder to me, especially today on Palm Sunday, that Jesus cares for me, loves me and works for good in my life.  He gave up his own life to save mine.  Even if it's just getting my daughter to wear a dress, he's there for me.  He's been there for me through the big things, too.  Things much bigger and much more important than a two-year-old wearing a dress.  And he'll continue to always be with me.  

Now we just have to get the dress on for Easter, birthday pictures, AND her birthday party....all in the next two weeks.  I'll keep praying about it.

4 comments:

  1. Yea Madeline! You look so cute. Maybe you will wear your "Bonnie" dress from Gma and Papa for your birthday or Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!! She looks beautiful in any outfit, but especially adorable in her birthday dress!!!
    xoxo
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I would be so sad if Lily hated dresses! I just love little girl's in their dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so cute! I love dresses on little girls!!
    Becky Haase

    ReplyDelete