Friday, February 3, 2012

It's been one of those weeks....

You know, the kind of week that makes me wish I was escaping reality and sitting under a beach umbrella being served sangria while basking in the sun of the Mediterranean.

Ahh...

Just thinking of it takes me away for a bit.

Last week we all had minor colds.  Some runny noses, a few coughs, nothing big.  We got over it, but I had a lingering not-feeling-well feeling.

Saturday I had a breakout on my temple.  Didn't think much of it.  I still get pimples.  It happens.  Whatever.

The breakout didn't get any better and didn't seem to be normal pimples.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday.  The blemish looked irritated and she told me to try hydrocortisone for a few days.  Great, I went to the doctor to have her tell me to try some $4.00 over the counter cream.  It wasn't overly painful or overly itchy or tingling or burning.

At the end of the visit she said, "well, it's not shingles".

Famous last words.

Then I googled shingles.  And started to convince myself that it actually was shingles.  Then I convinced myself it wasn't shingles.  Then it started to tingle.  And itch.  And burn.

So I went back to the doctor.  And it's shingles.

Great.

Not gonna lie, it's an irritating ailment.  Quite itchy and burning-y and uncomfortable.

And there's Audrey.  Already fussy, getting-another-molar Audrey.  Who hasn't had her chicken pox vaccine yet.  She'll get it in two weeks at her one year well-visit.  Unless we end up at the doctor before that....with chicken pox.  I really, really, really hope and pray that she doesn't get chicken pox from me.  (I guess you can't really get shingles from shingles, but you could get chicken pox from someone who has shingles.)

But I'm reminded that this is a temporary discomfort and not really a huge deal in the grand scheme of life.  The rash didn't spread.  It's on my temple, but not in my eye (a good thing).  I'm on meds that will make it better soon.  Tylenol helps with the itching/tingling/burning.

I'm glad that tomorrow is a new day with new mercies.

Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment