Monday, March 19, 2012

Just call me Holly Homemaker

I mentioned it awhile back, but my Christmas gift from Darrin was a beginning sewing class at a local quilting store.  My mother-in-law gave me a sewing machine for Christmas one year when we were first married.  I was thrilled, quickly made a few pillow covers, and then got busy with life and never sewed again.


The class was super fun.  The first day of class we learned how to turn on our machines and thread them.  That was a good thing.  'Cause I didn't have a VCR on which to watch the VHS tape that came with my sewing machine and told me how to do all that.

Then we moved to reading a pattern, cutting out fabric, ironing-on a fusible backing, quilting a bit, and putting it all together.

OMG.  It has a pocket!

The final project was this adorable purse (if I do say so myself...).  And I had enough fabric leftover to make an extra little bag (bought a pattern for this one) and a diaper/wipes caddy (made up my own pattern for this one).

Confession: The rosettes were supposed to be all handstitched together and then stitched on the bag.  Yeah.  Not so much.  I got out the glue gun for those.  And as a bonus, I glued them to pins so I can put them on other bags or turn them into brooches.  

Funny how a hobby that I think of as old-fashioned and Becky Homecky can be so liberating.  I feel like I could take over the world one stitch at a time.

I've since moved on to tag blankets.  My mom and I bought the supplies to make them about three years ago.  Yep, I've had these materials for three years. And am finally cranking some out.

I basically used this online tutorial.  Since I don't have a handy dandy quilter's square/rotary cutter, I use a piece of 12x12 scrapbooking paper as a pattern for size.  I cut my ribbons at 5 inches and use three ribbons per side.


Having a baby soon?  You might be seeing one of these bad boys.  And for now that's only if you're having a boy.

Haven't made any pink ones yet, the fabric's just sitting on my craft table looking nice.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment