Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Confession

Sometimes I get so caught up in reading blogs, checking facebook and browsing pinterest that I actually believe that people live this way.

You know what I mean, right?  Always in a trendy outfit capturing each moment in a beautifully zoomed, cropped and enhanced photo with a perfectly DIY-ed house that is immaculate and entirely made from re-purposed materials all for under $100.

Just reminding myself today that not everyone's life is perfection on a stick.  Or at least I hope not.


This was me last week.  It's fairly typical.  No make-up, wearing a free tshirt.  Baby in a hand-me-down onesie and daughters certainly not in matching or even coordinating outfits.  Bed unmade in the background.  One daughter attempting to pull my shirt off and the other putting every bow that she owns in my hair.

I'm sure that I am not the only mom out here with dirty bathrooms, cheerios on the floor, a shirt covered in snot, and a head full of bows.

Am I?

12 comments:

  1. I don't know, Lisa. I think it all depends on, priorities, and based on the humor, joy, and gratitude you show, your life may not be so far from perfect after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline. I certainly enjoy our unperfect, sometimes crazy little world. :)

      Delete
    2. Apparently, my phone was not perfect yesterday! :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know, Lisa. I think it all depends on, priorities, and based on the humor, joy, and gratitude you show, your life may not be so far from perfect after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, Lisa. I think it all depends on, priorities, and based on the humor, joy, and gratitude you show, your life may not be so far from perfect after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you are not!!! There are days (probably more than I care to admit) when my shower and dressing does not come until mid afternoon naps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, let's see... My mother and I never wore make-up, we wore a lot of "reasonably priced" (cheap) but appropriate clothing for the house and yard, nothing ever coordinated in either of our houses because we used what we had, we kept the bathroom usable but not immaculate, I can't remember our kitchen floors, and our shirts got dirty (which is to be expected if you are working or playing). I don't know what you remember about me, but I remember my mother taking Barbara and me for swimming lessons downtown to the "Y" on the streetcar and the bus in the humid heat of a St. Louis summer (because she did not drive), I remember Mother reading "Heidi" and other stories to Barbara and me, I remember Mother playing with us, laughing with us, encouraging us, helping us with homework, chatting with us at dinner, and loving us. I am guessing that your children will remember the hair bows, the laughter, and the love -- and not the bathrooms or the floors!!!

    L.,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this entry. :) The "real mom" life is SO different than the life we see online. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're totally not alone! But I know in my life, anyway, it's most often the imperfections that make me smile and realize that this life is pretty darn good. :) I think Caroline hit it on the head.

    Oh, and I totally recommend getting a dog - at our house he makes a huge difference with the 'cheerios on the floor' issue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought if we had a dog I wouldn't have to sweep the kitchen floor so often. Though there'd be other messes, I'm sure. :)

      Delete
  8. And PS I'm envious of how good you look make-up free!

    ReplyDelete