Wednesday, June 6, 2012

{not quite} A Swimming Fool

We had our first swimming lessons this week.

Taking a swim across the pool.

I was a bit apprehensive myself.  I'd heard horror stories about the first week of swimming lessons -- tears, screaming, dunking kiddos underwater.  I wasn't so sure I was ready for that.

Swimming lessons, here I come!
But this little lady seemed ready.

And she has had a great time.

Stretching and practicing their kicks.

The teacher is so sweet and patient.  There's no forcing anyone to do anything, just gentle persuasion and it totally works.  There's also "no cryin', just tryin'."  Magically she gets everyone to participate.

They start class with stretches and talking about the rules and water safety.

Madeline's a little hesitant around water.  She doesn't even like to get her face wet.  And that's okay with me.  A little healthy fear never hurt anyone.  Luckily she did well with the lessons.

She poked her chin in the water when asked.  Dipped her eyes in the water a few times.  Did a little underwater "swimming" each day.  But overall did her best to keep her face dry.  :)

Ready for a swim through the hoop.

After lessons yesterday she told me she "accidentally" went all the way under water when they were swimming through the ring (like a big hula hoop in the pool), but she liked it.

We're getting there.

This is the view from the house where lessons are.  Up on top of a hill, out in the middle of farm country.  Totally gorgeous!

1 comment:

  1. Madeline is from a "swimming family" (on your side of the family) so she will do well swimming. That pool is in a beautiful place!!! The picture from the house would make a nice postcard!!!

    L.,
    M.

    ReplyDelete