Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Old habits die hard

This used to be cute.  Rock on.




Now it just screams "send check payable to orthodontist".


Since this month's visit to the dentist, we've been eliminating finger sucking during the day.  It's going...okay.

I guess I didn't realize how much she sucks her fingers in the car.  We've endured multiple car rides to and from the west side of town with sad crying and whining and at times full-on lamenting.  "I want to suck my fingers!  I want to suck 'em!" 

Repeated.  Many times.  Loudly.

But things are getting better.  When she wants to suck her fingers during the day I can see her thinking, "Mom's gonna tell me no.  But I want to suck my fingers..."  At least she's cognizant of it.

For now we're allowing finger sucking at naptime and bedtime and only in her own room.  If she's tired or cranky or having a bad day she'll actually go up to her room, lay on her bed and suck her fingers for a bit.  It's gonna be a hard one to break.  Not sure how exactly we're gonna do it.  Maybe I'll give her a pacifier, start a new bad habit, and break that one.  {I'm kidding.  Just kind of.}  The thought did cross my mind.  It might be less painful for me. 

Today she took her nap in our room.  She was all settled on the bed and had library books to read.  She came out about five minutes later.

"Can I still suck my fingers if I'm in your room?"

No comments:

Post a Comment