Monday, August 13, 2012

Thoughts on working out

This winter we rejoined the Y.

There comes a point post-baby where you have no more excuses not to lose the weight.  I'm at home full time.  I'm not that busy.  I wasn't breastfeeding anymore.  There's a child watch (Audrey gets some time away from Mama and as a bonus Madeline already knew some kiddos there).  And it was time.

I do a better job of working out in a group class.  There's that pressure knowing that everyone in the class is still going and I shouldn't give up.  That and the pesky wall to wall mirrors in the room.  I mean for reals.  Keep movin', chica.

There's an instructor that I find to be a bit too peppy and excited about things like lunges and squats.  Are these really worthy of excitement?  Then I realized that my students probably felt the same way about me and learning and Spain and grammar and Spanish.  Now I kinda like her.

Zumba makes me feel like I still got it.  Body roll?  Yes, please.  Shimmy?  Ok.  Booty shake?  Uh, ye-ah.

At the suggestion of a friend, I've started showering at the Y after class.  It's much faster and easier than packing up the girls, coming home, finding something for them to do and then spending the rest of the morning corralling them while I try to shower and get dressed.  And I love the retired ladies in the locker room that do water aerobics and then have complete conversations with people while half-naked.

Surprisingly when I move more and make healthier food choices I feel better, too.  Huh.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment