Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Memories

As I start to think about new traditions for Christmas with Madeline, I'm reminded of a few Christmas memories.

My all time favorite memory has to be going to church with my grandma (Grandpa and Dave usually stayed home) on Christmas Eve in Pontiac. Everyone at church knew Grandma and my dad, "Butch". It was everything you would expect from a small farm town in Illinois. We usually sat in balcony. The pastor's wife Ruby would sing Sweet Little Jesus Boy -- actually it was more like Sweeeeet Little Jeeeeeeeesus Booooyeeee. The Spirit moved Ruby. A lot. Especially on the high notes. The service ended with Silent Night to candlelight, which to this day brings tears to my eyes.

When we celebrated at home, my dad always seemed to want to go look at Christmas lights after dinner. My mom would find some reason to stay home and do the dishes or something. We'd drive around, usually in Golfview, and check out the lights. Then we'd arrived home to hear that we had just missed Santa, but he'd left all the presents. Thanks, Santa!

Now that there have been young kiddos in the mix for a few years, it's been fun seeing the children play and enjoy Christmas. This year we got to see the nephews' pre-school Christmas program. It was adorable! It seems like a few new family traditions are emerging: going to see Jolly Holiday Lights, seeing our family friend Santa at Dahl's, and now Santa himself delivering gifts at Granny and Grandpa's house. I hope that this year goes a bit smoother with Santa and Madeline. Last year she wasn't so sure. In fact, she screamed in his lap and then didn't want to let go of Mama until he left. Maybe this year we can at least smile at Santa...


Some Christmas traditions that I'm looking forward to doing more with:

The advent calendar. We have a wonderful, hand-made advent calendar that we didn't do a good job with this year. We ran late getting it out of the basement and didn't do a good job of reading it everyday. (Hmmm....this speaks poorly to me remembering to keep Jesus at the center of Christmas. I'm feeling convicted about this now.) Anyway, I look forward to keeping and improving upon this tradition.

Baby Jesus. Madeline LOVES Baby Jesus. She loves to read about Baby Jesus and to see Baby Jesus in the nativity scene. I hope this enthusiasm continues.

Christmas morning at home together as a nuclear family. I'd like to keep some parts of Christmas simple and quiet. As Madeline grows and gets more interested in Santa and Christmas, I think having time set aside as a family with be important.


Anyone have fun Christmas traditions to share? I'd love to have more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment