Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Duty Calls

Last night was my "other duties as assigned" night at work. I got to supervise the 9th grade band/choir concert and help out as needed. I ended up with a pretty simple job. Push record on the two school camcorders and zoom/pan as the spirit moved me. I was successful in completing my task.

To be honest, I wasn't very excited about having concert duty. It's cold outside. It's dark. I just wanted to stay inside with my sweeties. I had to cancel plans with the small group gang at the last minute, because I had forgotten about said concert duty. I was a bit grumpy upon arrival.

Once the concert started, I had a change of heart. I remembered how much fun it was to play in an ensemble. I remembered that great feeling when the harmony was just right and really beautiful. It took me back. To a time when I was young, naive and had a hopeless crush on this cute, confident trumpet player...who was two years older than me, in Urbandale Singers, and way out of my league. I remembered how much I loved Christmastime in the choir room. The carols. The madrigals. The songs we did every year at THE Winter Concert-- In This Very Room (UHS alums and parents, you know you are tearing up right now just thinking about it), Silent Night in German, and O Holy Night.

I really, really, really hope that Madeline's a band and choir gal. Seriously.

And I'm glad I married that trumpet player.

3 comments:

  1. We are so very happy that you married that trumpet player! We love having you as our "Daughter"!

    If Gma can have any influance on Madeline being in the band and choir I am 1000% in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline, that dad of yours is no fun!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh In This Very Room. Takes me back.

    ReplyDelete