Sunday, January 31, 2010

Keepin' my sabbath holy

I'm fairly certain that today was the perfect day for rest and rejuvenation. Didn't really do anything that special, I just enjoyed a quiet day with the family. This must have been what God intended for Sundays to be.

We all headed to church this morning and had a rockin' great time. Madeline sported her sunglasses while watching Daddy sing with the band. She wears shades because her future's bright. She also had not one but two donut holes. As previously mentioned, she loves some church donuts. The sermon was great, too, and challenged me to think about my life at work:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23.

Next up, a family trip to Target. Who doesn't love Target? And I had coupons. Love it.

Mac & cheese for lunch. It's a crowd pleaser.

Then, naptime. It was glorious. Madeline slept for three hours. It was my payback for yesterday, when she took a 45 minute nap. Darrin took a nap, also, and I enjoyed a quiet house. I got a few things done, and even took some time to read parts of a devotional book that a coworker gave me. It was great. Just the recharge that I needed.

My mom's cousin emailed me some pictures that she'd organized recently of my grandma, my mom's beloved uncle Jimmy, and her aunt Happy. If you were at my wedding, you may remember Uncle Jim. He was quite the character. I had some prints made, and I'm really happy with them. I guess that makes me kind of old -- things like geneology are starting to sound exciting. There's one picture in particular of my grandma from the 70s, and it's just like I remember her. She passed away in 1987 when I was in the first grade, but I still have happy memories of reading books with her, visiting her in St. Louis, and being in awe of her library room full of books. The pictures just make me reminisce and smile.



Later this afternoon, I made time to head to the Y for Body Jam. It was AMAZING. I love Body Jam. It makes me feel like I've still got some moves. Plus one of the last songs/routines was to Mo Money Mo Problems by Biggie. That's right, I'm referencing Notorious B.I.G. in a post about the sabbath. Anyhoo. It was a fantastic workout. There was much body rolling, shimmying and funkdafying. And I'm fairly certain that we did a Jaywalker dance to Mo Money...circa 1997.

To top it off, we had chicken tortilla soup for dinner. It was yummy and easy -- in the crockpot all day long.

Now, I'm enjoying good music, glamour, and the Grammys. Love it. I'm totally recharged and ready for the week ahead. Bring it on! (And, now, I hope that I don't regret posting this...please don't be a crappy week...please don't be a crappy week.) This was exactly what I needed this weekend. Thanks, Jesus, this whole "day of rest" thing is really working for me. :)

1 comment:

  1. I must admit, you, Jesus, and Biggie Smalls are some of my favorite people :)

    ReplyDelete