Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful for my Boo

Funny how the post that should be the easiest to write is actually the hardest.

I've learned so much from my little Boo. The last two and a half years have passed by both in the blink of an eye and yet have lasted an eternity. Strange how that happens. It seems like yesterday she was a sleeping (or not sleeping) newborn cuddling (or at times screaming) in my arms. And at the same time life without her feels like it was decades ago.


God has enriched our lives so much through her.

I realize that I'm perhaps a tad biased, but I just look at her and think the world of her. She's incredibly smart, ridiculously articulate, fiercely independent, and too darn cute for her own good. All great traits to have and all traits that cause her to be a wee bit fiesty.


I'd say that I don't know what I did with my time before I had her...but I do know. I was spending more time at work, taking classes at Drake, shopping more, working out more (more than none is still more, right?) reading more books, scrapbooking more, and socializing more. I enjoy the time that I spend with Madeline so much more than all of those things. I'd rather play Go Fish, take pretend road trips to pretend Old McDonald's, tickle, read books, sing songs, and otherwise goof around with my boo than do all of those other things. She's so worth it.


When I was pregnant with M, a gal at church told me to be prepared to love my baby more than anyone I'd ever loved before. I didn't really get it, but now I do.

I'm thankful for it all. The 2am snuggles because she had a bad dream. Eating cold suppers because she had to go potty (and it takes her twenty minutes). The tears and hugs because she skinned her knee. Even the "displays of emotion", time-outs and scoldings because...well...she's two.

Love her sooooo much.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa
    People always told me until your a Grandma you haven't had a full life. And no truer words have ever been spoken to me. I remember so well walking in your room and seeing and touching our precious Madeline. I will never forget holding her for the first time. And her first couple of weeks at home - you and Darrin nervous because there was no book you could read that could have prepared you for parenthood. I am so thankful we are close and could come and help you out.
    We feel so happy that she stays with us and doesn't cry for the two of you. This says so much about your and Darrin's parenting and how she knows how much both of you love her and she knows you will always come back for her.
    Watching her this summer and helping her learn to go potty,I cannot describe my love of being able to do that.
    Our vacation in Branson was so good. Papa and I loved taking her to the golf course and of course her entaining way of 'putting' the ball in the whole cracked us up.
    Madeline surprises us all the time with her knowledge - she wants to know if we are going on the interstate or under the interstate - she tells Papa she isn't Pumpkin- she's Madeline - knowing all of her ABC's, and counting and telling us she is empty and not full so she can eat ice cream with her Papa, is just heart filling. We love her to the moon and back.
    And I cannot say enough about the joy and love in mine and Papa's hearts that she has brought to us. Papa never questions anything we get for Madeline - and you know that is not like him. He always talks about her - tonight before supper he put back in the cabinet some leftover marshmellows. Then he said for about the third time how much she enjoyed them yesterday. It sweetens his heart when his Madeline loves what she is eating. We have plenty ov love left over for our new Baby Dowell and any others that may come along. We will always be here for you and Darrin and Madeline and our new Baby Dowell.

    ReplyDelete