If you know my mom, you probably know that I come from a family that writes a notoriously LONG Christmas letter. My mom's written a newsletter since before newsletters were the thing to do. I have vivid memories of her hand-writing page after page of rough drafts (while wearing her signature earplugs) and then typing it all up on her electric typewriter. Last year's letter from my mom was eight pages long. Yep. I said eight pages. For my mom it's a labor of love -- a family genealogy that she sends out to about one hundred of her closest family and friends. It's her own personal commentary on the events of the year. I am thankful for her extremely meticulous documentation of our year...although every year I complain about having to re-live each moment from the year with her, usually over the phone, as she hand writes each word of the rough draft. But throughout the year, if we have trouble remembering something, my mom usually replies, "We can always look in the Christmas newsletter." Heck, she used to write my height and weight in the card! Thankfully, those details are now omitted.
My letter is a tad shorter. I've self-imposed a limit of one page. To those of you that prefer the CliffsNotes version: You're welcome.
A few possibilities for The Dowell Christmas Card 2010:



I like to keep with the traditional red and green. Not sure why. I just do. Luckily Shutterfly has lots of fun options. Now I just have to find the perfect family picture.
In addition to Christmas cards, I love the sweet baby announcements, too. Gotta start planning ahead...
We LOVE your Mom's Christmas letters. Helps old people like us reminisce about the past year.
ReplyDelete