Sitting in the back pew on the right, where we always sat. Seeing the faces of church members that I haven't seen for years. Remembering them as being "old" when I was a kid. Surprised that they look exactly the same. Looking out the stained glass window. Singing the hymns. Sharing a hymnal with my mom. It just took me right back. Like I was a kid sitting in church.
So much the same. Yet not the same at all. Funny how memories are like that.
Being in that church reminds me of so many great times. Many of them milestones in my life. My baptism and confirmation. My 16th birthday. The morning of my high school graduation. My wedding.
Unfortunately we were there for the funeral of the woman who was there for many of those events. The pastor of our church. The mom of a friend that I hadn't seen for probably thirteen years. The woman who married Darrin and I.
The service was a celebration of life. It was a nice memorial and I was struck by two things. The great gift and commandment of love. And joy in the promise of life eternal.
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
No comments:
Post a Comment