Friday, October 14, 2011

Crossing the picket line

Audrey went on strike this week.  A nursing strike.  And it was BRUTAL.

It started on Tuesday.  She just stopped nursing.  Anytime I tried to feed her she angrily arched her back and pushed away.

On Wednesday she would only take fluids via spoon or syringe.  I took her to the pediatrician.  She had a sore on her tonsil, maybe leftover from the virus that she had two weeks ago.  Doctor's advice? Feed her as best you can, give her some ibuprofen to help with discomfort, make sure she is still having wet diapers, offer her the breast often, and wait it out.  She'll get thirsty eventually.

The waiting was horrible.  She was fussy and hungry.  I was grumpy and uncomfortable.  Every attempt to feed her was met with crying, back-arching, and pushing away.

I called my amigas at lactation.  They said the same thing.  Nurture.  Cuddle.  Keep trying.  A nursing strike usually lasts a couple of days.  But I was at the end of my rope, close to losing it.

Finally on Thursday (48+ hours into the strike), a small miracle happened.  She drank 6 oz from the bottle.  Progress! She hasn't taken that much from a bottle EVER.  She's flat-out refused to take a bottle for the last three months.  She must have been desperate for milk.  Later in the night she took another 6 oz.  More progress!

And, for whatever reason, she decided to nurse again this morning.  As abruptly as the strike started, it appears to be over.

It was the longest three days I've had since the newborn days.  It felt hopeless.  Like she would never eat again.  Like I'd be reduced to forever feeding her milk by the baby-spoonful.  Do you know how long that takes? And how messy that is????  

There were glimmers of hope.  Darrin was very supportive and tried to be the voice of reason (I wasn't a very good listener).  An unexpected song on the radio seemed to speak right to me -- "hold fast, help is on the way...".  And sure enough, God worked it out.

I was shocked to feel so sad that nursing might be over for Audrey.  And particularly that it would end so suddenly.  I will for sure cherish our last few months of nursing.  The extra snuggles.  The sleepy baby face before bed.  The quiet times together (well....as quiet as they are with big sister running around, jumping, dancing, talking, and more as Audrey tries to eat).

So, *sigh of relief*, this little bump in the road appears to be over.  Life is good.  God is good.  And my little nursing baby is good.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow. I'm sorry to hear this and I'm sorry I haven't checked your blog in such a long time. :-Z I'm glad to know she's better now, you must have been at your wits end. Much love.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete