Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm not 32. It's my double sweet sixteen.

I've had several thoughts swirling through my head as my birthday approaches.   I'm not sure that I have coherent words to express any of them.  But that's never stopped me from trying before.

Some days I sit back and wonder where the time went.  I mean, really.  It feels like just yesterday that I was turning sixteen. Or eighteen. Or twenty-five.  And all of a sudden I find myself at thirty-two.  It's not the number that gets me.  I could really careless about the age.   I guess I'm just in awe of the passing of time.

My parents sent me a lovely birthday card.  It was a thoughtful and sentimental card that I really appreciated.  It got me thinking about my own girls.  And how one day I'll be saying the same things to them.  And again I find myself in awe of the passing time.  One of these days I'll be wishing my own daughters a happy thirty-second birthday.  And I'm sure I'll be wondering how it's possible that another thirty-two years have gone by.

I love Madeline's near inability to keep a secret.  Yesterday she was bursting to tell me about my birthday card.  She started crying because she desperately wanted to give the card to me "today".  She finally settled on peaking under her bed to make sure the card was still hiding there and telling me that it was very special and had Strawberry Shortcake on it. 

The thought that comes to my mind on my birthday?  My cup runneth over.  With each giggle, tickle, and snuggle.  Each book, song and dance.  Each first this and new that.  My cup runneth other.  I feel blessed beyond measure and am looking forward to what the next year will bring.   

No comments:

Post a Comment