Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thankful for my husband

I don't even know where to start. He's my partner in life. He's been with me through the highs and lows for longer than just about anyone else in my life. He's known me in many ways. Annoying little sister. Giddy ninth grader. High school sweetheart. Prom date. College freshman. International traveler. Wife. First year teacher. Camping buddy. Stubborn patient. Hormonal new mom. Working mom. Sleepy pregnant lady.

And through all that, he still sticks around. That requires some patience.

I'm thankful for the big things and all the little things.

He handles the morning routine with Madeline and does a wonderful job. Breakfast, dressing, pottying, loading up and dropping off at day care. He does it all. He's a great dad. And he makes the bed every morning.

He works hard to provide for his family. The hours can be long and the job stressful, but he does it so that his family is well taken care of.

He does all the yard work.

He calls me out on things. Even when it irritates me a bit. Like not taking care of myself when I'm sick. Or gossiping. Or saving room for dessert, but not eating all my veggies. Or saying "oh my gosh" in front of Madeline (emphasis on the "gosh" which my daughter has started saying a lot recently. And she uses it correctly. In context. With much expression. Apparently I say it a lot, too?!?!).

He encourages me to go shopping for myself and buy nice things. Even when I think it's too much money. He tells me that I'm worth it.

He got me a pedicure and a massage for my birthday.

He's been extremely patient with pregnant, exhausted me. This time around I've been even more worn out than I ever was when Madeline was in utero. That means that things don't get done as quickly around the house. He helps to pick up the slack. And he still tells me I'm beautiful, even with my pregnant potbelly poking out.

He makes me laugh. We've got so many memories together. Many of them involve laughter. Or if not, at least we can laugh about them now.

He calls when he leaves work so I know when to expect him for supper. And he asks if I need him to get anything from the grocery store on his way home.

I'm so blessed to have him.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I have always known this and it is nice to see it in writing. You are the perfect wife for him. The night he came home from work on the bus and asked us to wait before going out to eat so he could share with us the beautiful engagement ring he bought for you and also the news he was meeting with your parents to ask for your hand in marriage - I told him if I had to hand pick a wife for him that it would be YOU! Your love for each other is so evident. We love all of you! Call me if you need any additonal help with your stuff - I am always available. Love Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Maybe it's not fair, after only a year, to say that this fits the way I feel about Neil, but it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! Yea for you, for Big D, and for school! I'm so happy for you and Big D, and I agree, he's an amazing man, husband, father and friend. We love him, too!

    Ray

    ReplyDelete